We often discuss several different ways a lawyer can help your business run smoother and free from confusion. Entrepreneurs need all the help they can get with contracts as well as the potential for difficult litigation.
Here, we address why it’s beneficial to secure outside general counsel when running a business.
Great Reasons to Hire a General Counsel
- Cost-Effective Compared to Temporary Services
- We should first mention that hiring a general counsel differs from having an attorney “in-house.” In this approach, you can pay for legal services when you need them rather than paying for a staff lawyer(s). While there are advantages to having permanent legal counsel, many businesses don’t need that. If their business complexity is less sophisticated, then it’s usually more cost-effective to hire an attorney part-time or as needed.
- For example, a business owner might need legal counsel when they first create their corporation or limited liability company or retain legal services later when they want to merge with another company. Either way, if your company only occasionally requires this assistance, an outside general counsel might be a smarter option.
- If you’d like to learn more about the cost of Ken Nota’s outside general counsel and other legal services, be sure to check out the rates section on the website. You can determine how much help you need and you’re never on the hook for more than a 12-month commitment. This offers lots of options and flexibility.
- Excellent Emergency Preparedness
- You never need to panic about impending legal trouble as long as you know how to get in touch with the right kind of attorney. Again, it may be overkill to keep a permanent lawyer just in case there’s litigation, but problems inevitably occur.
- If, for example, you find yourself in a dispute over property boundaries with an adjacent business, you’ll want to know who to call. Also, if your small company needs to resolve a difficult employee matter or conduct an internal investigation, it’s important to obtain outside counsel.
- Efficiently Address Specific Problems
- It’s also possible to run into problems that your current legal team if you have one, cannot address. Sometimes, there are quandaries outside their specialization. The law is complex and regulations are quite extensive.
- Ken Nota handles everything from mergers and acquisitions to government inquiries. The latter problem is not something every corporate legal team has experience managing. The best part is that you retain his services either for one time only or on renewable terms.
The Law Office of Kenneth J. Nota excels at providing effective general counseling to businesses around Sarasota, FL. You never know when you’ll need help from an attorney, but if you don’t have one on staff, it’s nice to know you can quickly obtain assistance. If that sounds like something you want for your business, contact us at 941-309-5270.